Sunday, April 13, 2008

Sundown Roundup

The setting sun provides me with the conditions to check up on the subjects of the post this morning.  It also lights the basil as though from within.  

When I started this blog (2 weeks ago), I meant it to be a repository for information about the plants and planting we do.  I thought it would be a useful thing to be able to look up the start dates for the various veggies and flowers grown hereabouts.  I was thinking about it today, and I realised that I need to keep track of the weather for this to be useful.  Damn.  That's two weeks less useful than they could be.  

At any rate, the weather today was grey, and rainy; but eventually sunny.  The temperature wasn't particularly high.  It was probably a high near 10.  Yesterday, it was rainy and 4.5 high and 2.5 low (thanks ec.gc.ca).  I suppose I could look up the temperatures for every day on the environment canada site, but the sunshine and rain is also significant.  Plus:  The weather!  Is anything more riveting?  We actually spent the day driving our rental car to tourist attractions to the south.  It was a rainy drive at the outset.  It turned into foggy drive, which released us abruptly into a grey world.  Later in the day, after we had got cold and somewhat disappointed by the unesco world heritage sites, the sun came out.  But on the drive home it was revealed that the fog and rain had stayed where we had left.  

Because the sun eventually shone, and probably just because it's the way that things work, the plants I was sneak-previewing this morning are further along this afternoon.  There are now 4 nasturtiums poking through.  All 6 of the scarlet runner beans are showing in some way.  2 of the string beans are making their way up.  

The pretty scarlet runner bean that was splitting open and just starting to spit out a leaf is most definitely leaf-bearing now.  
The pretty veined leaf is now above the side of its pot.  
It's still veiny.  
The alien root is still growing.  There is no way other than "hairy" to describe it.  
The stem + leaves is poking out of another of the runner beans, swanning for my camera.
The string bean and its green bit are believable now.  
.... so much so that I think one can see the green without the close-up.
The first nasturtium is above pot-level, too.
If I had the time, wherewithall (sp?) and guaranteed light, I would put together a system to photograph the pea plants every 20 minutes or so.  I'd love to have a stop-motion film of their growth.  I think I could get something interesting in only a couple of days.  

high: 8.3 C, low: 0.6 C, 0.6 mm rain

No comments: