Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Moving On

The secret-bearing bean has leaf nubbles now.  I waited for a while, but there is a limit to how long the others in the flat should wait for it to catch up.
The beans went out into the cold morning for hardening-off today.  We'll see if it kills the nubbly-one.  I have an emotional attachment to it, I'll admit.  However, I want beans some time this summer and I know that the way to get 'em is to put these plants into our plot.  They're not going into the plot without hardening off, so out they go.
The scarlet runners are presumably now quite seriously hardened off.  Time to find a place to put them, I think.  Unfortunately, it's a busy week so I am not sure when the time will be.
The alien breech-birth bean is dealing with being outdoors interestingly.  The root that was exposed is wasting away.  I don't know if this is because it's been attacked by birds.  I suspect the local birds are gathering nesting material from the sides of the pots (and who could blame them?  It is nesting material) and maybe one or two of them has made an experimental pull at the root.  Or, perhaps, it's sensibly killing off the branch that can't deal with the cold.  Whatever it is, the growing part of the bean doesn't show any trauma.
Finally, I can't leave the nasturtiums out of the story much longer.  They're so pretty.  They really are quite seriously overgrown now and there will be sadness when I try to put them into the ground and they all die, but I am at the moment enjoying the nasturtium forest on my windowsill. 

No comments: