Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dotty


The chives are unfolding.  They come up as long, narrow leaves which then reveal themselves to be actually one blade folded in half.    They are doing quite well; at any rate they are not obviously suffering for having been moved to the windowsill above the kitchen sink


The basil are being somewhat chaotic but otherwise still obviously growing.  Their leaves (cotyledons?) are so very different from everyone else's.  They're like duck bills.  Also, there is the strange habit of growing roots outside the soil.  I am now trying to bury the roots without doing the plants damage.  We'll see how it goes.  Next time, I will know to bury the seeds much deeper.


All there is of the mint is the tiniest of sprouts.  Still just one.  The leaves make it clearly a sprout and all, but I would feel better if more of the seeds started sprouting.  This one tiny thing is the only green above the soil under the plastic at the moment.

The marigolds are interesting.  I just noticed yesterday that they have little tiny spots on the undersides of their leaves.   I can't see anything that says that marigolds should have little spots around the bottom of their leaves.  I am worried that they're not spots, but insect eggs. 



For some reason, I am comforted by the fact that even the emergent first true leaves have the spots.  I am also, irrationally, comforted by the fact that the spots are rather pretty.



No comments: