Sunday, April 20, 2008

Neglect

Have you ever wondered what marigolds look like when you sprout them in tiny pots and then leave them in a sunny window until they are drier than paper?  

Wonder no more!  
Amazingly, they don't look dead.  At the start, I was keeping them very moist, but then I read that they would be leggy if the soil wasn't a bit dry. After that, apparently I went crazy because I kept looking at them and thinking "oh, no, mustn't overwater" instead of thinking, "oh no, those are bone dry".  So no doubt they will be leggy with poor root systems.  I have watered them now.  When I picked up the pots and they were as light as a feather, I panicked and rushed the whole assemblage under the tap in the bathroom.  They will need more watering in a bit.  This first dousing was just to get the soil spongy and receptive again.

The hardening-off of the less-neglected plants (they at least got rain on Friday so they've seen some water recently) continues in my heartless way.  This morning, I opened the door with my hands full of pea pots and found a) that it was much, much colder (1 C) than I expected and b) that my full hands weren't anything like as capable as I had imagined.
I think the one I dropped will probably survive, although all that rolling can't have been good for the low-lying leaves.

The peas really do need something to grab on to now.  They're grabbing on to each other in desperation.
The scarlet runner beans will need something soon.  I had thoughts of putting them into the ground today, but I didn't prep the patch I want to put them in and anyway it is really very cold despite all the sun yesterday.
The basil, the ones that survive because I moved them from their terrible and inadequate egg cups, unlike the ones that are dead/dying because I got interrupted while doing the re-potting and never returned to it, are being luminous again.
All in all, not a day to be proud of as a gardening wannabe.  Plus, my muscles are sore from the yard work yesterday.  Stairs, in particular, elicit unusual and unpleasant sensations.

High 7.4 Low -1.4

No comments: