Monday, April 27, 2009

Blue forest

The grape hyacinths make a wonderful tiny blue forest, if looked at from the right angle.

Unfortunately, to look at them from the right angle, one must splay oneself on the sidewalk in a most undignified manner.  I am a bit self conscious about the picture-taking.  

I am self-conscious when strangers pass by and find me splayed across the sidewalk.

I am self-conscious when friends pass by and (maybe) discover just how many hours of the day I spend photographing my flowers.  I prefer to think of it as "documenting", but the fact remains that I have manymanymany gigs of pictures of flowers and dirt and things that will be flowers some day and things that were flowers recently and ....

I admit that I should be able to record this information somewhere and keep it in an easy-to-find way.  It's only a teeny-tiny garden, after all.  The best bit is only a foot wide, but so much can happen in that foot.
But it's worth it in the end to be know that it's normal for the hyacinth to be out before the grape hyacinth, and to know to look for crocuses in the first week of March.  

No comments: