Thursday, April 16, 2009

Passing of seasons

I am trying to learn when my garden starts, not only in absolute terms (March 4, thanks very much) but also in relative terms.  

Today, I saw a few coltsfoot flowers starting up.  It's not in full swing, but it is starting.  Since it's the first weed/wildflower around here, I think I'll try to tie it to what's up in the garden.  

What IS up in the garden is that the zwb's are done, the pickwicks are mostly done and the deep purple satin ones are in full-fledged glory.  The snowdrops are going well, the little blue crocuses of various shades in the front are starting.  The hyacinths are going.  The Joyce bulb lilies are going.  The grape hyacinths are just starting to put their flower spears up between the leaves.  The daffs haven't started (but they will soon).  

No comments: