Sunday, April 19, 2009

Friend or Foe?

Although it is something I'm getting better at, I still struggle with the early identification of plants I want vs. plants I don't want.  I spent a whole year encouraging a choking weed because somehow I decided it was alyssum.    I think it still does better in my garden than in anyone else's because of that poor decision.
So yesterday, when I was yanking out a baby maple and I found this fellow, I didn't know what to do.  It's not like other things coming up at the moment.  It's in a place I might, indeed, have planted something.  It's also in a place I might, indeed, have left a choking weed.  It's got a sort of funny growth pattern ... lots of leaves growing as though they are a stalk, not as though they're springing from a stalk.  I don't know.  At the moment, I suspect it of being the hosta.  I've left him in place until he's identifiably friend or foe.

Edited later to say that more of these are popping up in that general neighbourhood, but I think I know it's not a hosta.   Maybe it's the mystery yellow plant which flowered so nicely and so persistently last year.

No comments: