Thursday, May 29, 2008

More life, more gardening

We went to the plot this evening after work.  I didn't bring a camera, so there is no photographic evidence of: A MIRACLE!

The peas are flowering.  There are no less than 2 blooms on the very same peas that are "lying down" after their hard, wintery weeks while we were living it up.  I am very impressed.  

We planted, starting at the south: a row of scallions, a row of beets and a row of radishes.  There follows a trench for us to walk in and then there is a row of zucchini and a row of beans.  To the west there are more peas near the ones already struggling to survive.   The blob west of the trench is free for potatoes when we can.  Let's hope that the seeds do alright.  I dumped all of the package in to the trenches, so we'll have a lot of thinning to do, hopefully.

I spent most of the time at the plot uprooting dandelions.  They are EVERYWHERE in the garden; a real pest.  The biggest trouble with them is that the slugs love 'em and use them as shelter before ransacking ones peas.  Since I can't be having competition for my peas, the slugs and their dandelion homes have got to go.  Of course, I didn't get all of them.  I pulled up every plant within 6 inches of our plot.  Furthermore, only about 10% of those (if I am lucky) were fully pulled up.  Most of the roots snapped.  I suspect there will be many times more dandelions popping up.  I know that constant vigilance is required, but I am the inconsistent gardener.  I won't be around for a couple of weeks.  The consistent dandelions will win this one, for sure.  

No comments: