Monday, May 19, 2008

Funny Old World

When I went to look up the link to the exquisite tulips of yarnstorm, I discovered that she went to the Keukenhof just before I did.  The world, especially as found on the internet, is uncomfortably small.  Of course, I don't know the blogger yarnstorm.  I just read her blog.  I haven't reached the point where I can leave comments (although if you're stopping by, feel free to do so; more power to you for breaking through the wall) let alone forge an actual relationship with an internet-person.  Nonetheless, it struck me as an odd enough coincidence to mention. 
We booked our trip to meet our own requirements, and were therefore pleasantly surprised that we happened to be in Holland during the tulip festival at Keukenhof (and on National Windmill Day).
Even though the tulip festival was in its last week and we braced ourselves for a lacklustre show after the hot hot hot weather, the gardens were spectacular.  
There were very few flowering fields, however.  In the above picture, you can just make out a purple stripe which is some tired tulips hanging on.  All the other stripes had finished flowering.  I am still having a hard time getting used to the idea that tulips are a thing that grow in fields like cabbages.  I can't believe how different it was a week before, but I think it's lucky I didn't see what yarnstorm saw.  It would have destroyed my mind.  

No comments: