Sunday, May 4, 2008

Give me an inch...

I missed two days!  Yikes.

There will be a lot more of that over the next coupla weeks while I'm on vacation.  Ahh.

But, before we went away, the plants couldn't stay out of the ground any longer.  In went the marigolds, nasturtiums, and scarlet runner beans.  

It turns out that 19 marigolds is an awful lot.  I put some in pot and all, some I tore away a lot of the pot, and some I tore away all of the pot.  We'll see which ones thrive.  

The nasturtiums are just a write-off.  I shouldn't have put them into the ground, but I couldn't change the plan.  I'm not a plan-changer.  Anyway, they'll be nasty dead things by the time we get back and that will be easier to deal with than putting just-barely-living things into the compost.  

The scarlet runner beans are not so much of write-offs although they are much the worse for wear.  I meant to put them around a pole that sprouts out of "our lawn", but when I approached it with edger in hand today I noticed that the pole is leaking some oily stuff all around it.  That can't be good for the plants.  So, instead I changed the plan (maybe I am a plan changer, after all) and put the scarlet runner beans around the base of the guy wire for the pole.  However, I couldn't delude myself that there was room for all six there, so I put two over by the house next to the chimney.  If I have time, I'll hammer some nails in and tie string for them to grab on to as they grow.  Otherwise, they'll get to flop around until I come back and decide that they're a disaster.
 

No comments: