Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sunny Day

Wow.  Even after the snow on Friday night, the sun today makes it feel like spring for real.  
The snowdrops think so.  Actually, I have a thing to say about the snowdrops, lovely and spring-y as they are:  They are really dirty.  How does that work?  The crocuses are apparently not really dirty.  I know that one of them is white as white can be and so it will show the dirt, but the other ones look clean as a whistle, even on close inspection.  I don't get it.
The crazy zwanenburg bronzes think it's spring, but who can trust them?  It's been spring for them for over a month!
The lovely satiny no-name purple crocuses think it is spring.  They're starting to show their saffron cores.
The pickwicks know that it's a sunny spring day and they are therefore baring their sunny spring centres to the world.  They're so intricate!  

I know it's spring and time to clean up the garden, but I haven't yet.  The frost heaving heaved up last year's potato (it looks nastier and somehow more alien in real life.  This picture doesn't do it justice).
The tulips need to be re-buried, but they don't seem to mind being forced out of the ground and they aren't being eaten by hungry, bleary-eyed squirrels, either.

The daylilies are also baring roots (or whatever the horrible finger-like things are). I probably killed a good percentage of when I tried to split and spread them.  
Still, some remain and are showing a bit of green at the tips which gives me hope for daylilies this year.

No comments: