Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Field of Beans

Some news today!  The beans were so tall this morning that I couldn't keep them under plastic, so the whole flat moved upstairs (to the not-very-bright window).   The biggest peas went out into the backyard to harden off for the day.  Tomorrow, I'm going to put all of them out.  
I've been keeping an eye on the (as yet un-potted-up) marigolds to see if they're pushing roots through their bottoms.  I thought they weren't.  Now I think that they are and I just can't tell a marigold root from a random bit of coir. There are, at any rate, things that look like bits of the pot but are sort of wetter and paler than the rest.  

The burgeoning beans are also bursting out of their pots.  I don't have anything to pot them up to.  I might be able to move them into the pea yoghurt pots when the peas move into the ground, but the yoghurt pots aren't much bigger than the pots the beans are currently occupying.  They might have to make a quick move straight into the ground.  

The nasturtium package is quite clear about NOT disturbing its roots, so the whole apparatus has to go into the ground for them.  
We went to our plot at lunchtime and I did a little bit more clearing.  We were really just passing through; not meaning to get anything done other than go from A to B.  The peas need a home soon, though!  


No comments: