Thursday, April 10, 2008

Mini Mints

Yesterday was the first day of the year that we've come home to find the heat not on.  This is a new and exciting thing for us because we got the house insulated after heat season started last year.  It's fantastic that it can now generate enough heat to keep the house above 18 all day long in just a 2 hour burst in the morning.  Ahh.

The impact it has on the interior garden is that it means I now worry about cooking the things under plastic (mmmmm.... cooked beans).  Anyway,  I am leaving the plastic well and truly ajar today which hopefully will work out for all concerned.  This batch of starter soil has a slight manure-y smell that I would rather not let permeate the house.  
I had a brainwave regarding the mint and where it should be.  Instead of letting 7 Chutney-killed pots of beets sit in a sunshine-rich spot and forcing the 8 minty eggcups to struggle by with just a little sun in the morning, I cut away the dead beets (weeping copiously, of course) and put the mint in their place.  
The beets (probably not visible in the above picture) are just starting to get their first set of true leaves.  Very exciting.  
The mint makes a wonderful (if unphotographable) mini-forest.  I will have to thin it soon, I know, but right now I am loving the little stalks popping up willy-nilly.   (There was no chance at all I could put those tiny seeds in the soil any way other than willy-nilly.)
The peas are huge.  Above is today's picture.  Below is yesterday's.  Now, I know that it's at a different angle, but I believe it's obvious what a difference a day makes.  I suspect it's just opening leaves, and yet I can't get past how enormous the plants are looking this morning.   

No comments: