Sunday, August 24, 2008

Actual gardening activity

This afternoon while the sweary one struggled with the lawn and a large, unwieldy pile of dirt (score: 2 rakes down; lawn better-looking than before; pile of dirt only marginally improved) , I actually weeded and neatened the side yard.  I hadn't the heart to touch it since the painters had been through.  It has been looking very bad.  

It wasn't so bad to tidy it up.  I had to do a few things I don't like to do (admit something is dead) and a few things I don't mind so much but I'm still not crazy about (deal with big spider webs).  The weeds were plentiful, but they hadn't taken over.  The plants I meant to be there were still winning.  That's nice.  

The front yard hasn't had any attention since my first attempt long ago.  It's not beautiful.  I MUST put a raised bed in when the chance arrives.  It can't go on as it has.  

The side on the front is dreadful.  I pulled up the horrible weed barrier last fall and since then it's run amok.  It, too, needs some serious attention.  Heaven only knows who will grant it.  Not me, I think.  In happier news, the yellow-flower bush is still flowering.  
My difficulty has been entirely to do with lack of inspiration.  There isn't anything new going in.  I don't have to prep the ground for something wonderful that I want to have a nice life.  It's just maintenance now.  And with the side yard, maintenance is easy, except when I go away for a month and monsters come and trample and im-blue everything while I'm gone.  Oh, and it rains continually for a month after that.  It turns out that I'm not a good gardener then.  I need something nice.  I need a reward.  

Today my reward is dual.  I spent some pleasant minutes in the sunshine AND the side yard is no longer a disaster.  There are a few other good bits of news, too.  I'll write more about them in the expanded posts.  I think one long post is easier for me to write, but harder for me to find the relevant note in later, so I'm going to write many posts.  

Anyway, I hope I can find inspiration to deal with the front before the cold comes in the autumn.  So far, the only thing I can think of is shame. I can't bear that our house looks trashy with all those weeds surrounding it.  Unfortunately, I'm not quite embarrassed enough. 


No comments: