Saturday, July 19, 2008

What happened?

So, what did happen in the garden in those weeks that I was away?  

The daylilies came out.  
The delphiniums bloomed.  Then they were bent and destroyed by the painters.
The mystery plants in the front that I have diligently removed thinking they were weeds year after year before finally realising this year that they don't spread like weeds and they always come up in the same place so maybe, just maybe, I should give them a chance ... they bloomed.  And were then bent and killed by the painters.
The zinnias finally came out.  Well, a flower on some of the plants came out.  This was not a success.  Note for next year: No zinnias in the side yard.  Nonetheless, there they are.
The gazanias finished.
The herbs (except the lavender, perversely) have flowered.  
And been painted.  
The glads seem to be still coming out but I worry very much about their chances of surviving the attack.
The bush on the front side bloomed its one week of magnificent white blooms; I only know this because I have evidence of their demise.  
The other bush on the front side is blooming with a few yellow flowers.
The hosta in the front looks like it may be about to flower.  I don't think it ever has before, so that would be exciting were it not for the fact that it will undoubtedly be destroyed shortly.  
I think my favourite news is that the nasturtiums bloomed.  Well, some did.  These are the nasturtiums that we started from seed indoors and watched sprout and grow and put out just before heading away for our vacation and then they got snowed on and all sorts of terrible things and most of them died, but not all.  That's a true success story from the indoor planting.  

No comments: