Sunday, August 17, 2008

MORE zucchinis

Actually, I am not complaining all that much about the proliferation of zukes.  They're very good.  We picked 3 more today.  I don't think I mentioned that last week the sweary one took some hungry-looking students down to the plot to gather some healthy harvest for themselves.  

The beans are done now.  After the enormous picking last week, nothing much was left.  We pulled up some of the plants this afternoon.  I stopped pulling up plants when I pulled out one that still had some baby beans on it.  Next year, we need to follow the excellent lead of our co-plotters and put in some proper bean infrastructure.  There are a number of very nice bean screens around.  

We also pulled up a whole potato plant.  It had been knocked over by the zukes, beans, and incessant rains.  There were about a dozen potatoes underneath.  After our first taste the other night, I can't wait to eat these.  Nothing is like a fresh potato.  We really don't get them in any way other than eating them, either.  It's unfair; why can't we get such delicious beasts at the farmers' market?  We can get nice peas.  Why not nice potatoes?  

Our haul included some (increasingly mis-named) spring onions and some herbs from the communal garden.  I brought home some egyptian walking onion babies to plant in the backyard.  

I think next year we'll get rid of the walking onions.  I like using the space we have for things we can eat.  

No comments: