Sunday, August 24, 2008

Scented slashing

I have once again attacked the oregano.  It was sprawling out into the sidewalk and wandering from side to side like it thought it was king of the garden.  
I simply took a knife to it and cut it back until it wasn't a) flopped all over the sidewalk b) flopped all over any surviving plants around it c) flopped all over itself.  At first I felt a bit bad about hacking away at what is basically my best plant.  It grows so nicely!  But then the nice smell of herb filled the air and I realised that this is a plant that needs to be cut.  It needs some harvesting.  It needs to have a reason to refresh.  

I did notice, after I had cut off most of its blooms, that the bees seem to really like the flowers.  I don't like depriving bees.  I'm guessing there will be more flowers shortly, though.  The bees can make do for a little while. 

No comments: