Monday, August 4, 2008

Vegetables

I often think of the word "vegetables" as being pronounced veg-i-TAYB-les, like it's sung in the Gilbert & Sullivan song " ... it's a scheme of devices to get at low prices all goods from cough mixtures to cables, which tickled the sailors by treating retailers as though they were all vegetables" (want to guess what the rest of the song was about?  Those gentleman knew a thing or two about stringing words together, didn't they!).  

It's been VERY RAINY in this part of the world.  Very.  Yesterday I was in the back yard cleaning something with the garden hose and you couldn't tell where I had sprayed and where I hadn't.  It's been that kind of very rainy.  

As a result of the very rainy, there have not been any trips to the plot over the long weekend.  As a result of the long weekend, well, there are 7 fresh new zukes in our fridge.  We're not doing too badly using them up, but I think this will break the camel's back.  Time to start freezing grated zucchini.  

There are also a good bunch of beets (the end of them) and a few scallions.  

The scallions worked out very well.  I'd plant 'em again exactly the same way: Just dump every darn scallion seed you have into the row and thin them out as they emerge.  They don't have to be very big to be edible and the thinning later didn't seem to have a negative effect on the growth of the un-thinned.  Plus, the little tiny ones were wonderfully potent.  

We also pulled up the end of the garlic.  The garlic has been such a joy.  I never in my wildest dreams imagined that I could grow my own garlic.  So fabulous.  


No comments: