Monday, June 16, 2008

Onion grass

We stopped by the plot on our way home this afternoon.  No camera; no pictures. 

The walking onions are looking pretty good.  We should figure out something to do with them.  Pasta maybe?

We thinned the beets and radishes and got rid of a weed or two.  We need to address the problem of the enthusiastically-planted scallions.  This is entirely my doing.  I planted all the seeds in the package and I didn't worry about the separation.  I reckoned that we could do the thinning later, and besides the package was over a year old so I could assume that the germination rate wouldn't be high.  Oops.  The overall effect is very like grass.  Thinning is the wrong word.  I need some way of getting rid of huge clumps of scallion sprouts. 

Maybe I can combine the sprouts with the walking onion flowers for a pungent addition to potato salad?  

No comments: