Thursday, June 12, 2008

Incoming Iris

The iris plants were a gift from my utterly lovely neighbour a couple of doors down.  She has a perennial garden in her fairly shady back yard, and I often feel shame about how little I can get going in the front given the knowledge of her tremendous success.  

At any rate, the irises came in the fall of 2006 and didn't bloom in 2007.  I am nothing if not stubborn (especially when there is the possibility of irises) and so I decided that they'd been traumatized by the move, traumatized by my treatment of them, and therefore they needed a year to recover.  I thought that if they didn't bloom this year, I'd have to face facts, but I'd let 'em be for the time being.
When I was doing the big planting last week, I noticed that there were buds!

It's going to be a far cry from the gorgeous irises we saw at the Jardin des Plantes last month.  Who cares?  The irises took!  Bliss.

No comments: