Monday, May 4, 2009

Weeds, maybe

I was pulling up weeds yesterday morning when my old optimism came to call.  

I remembered that when I was cleaning up last fall, the marigolds were spewing seeds about the garden willy-nilly.  It would not be crazy for those seeds to be emerging about now.  So, halfway through the weeding, I stopped pulling up things that looked like this:
The marigolds that I grew from seed last year had much longer first leaves before the true leaves came in, but it's a pretty good match.  Good enough for me to wait a little while before I yank 'em, anyway.  

I kept ripping out anything that looked like clover.
I kept ripping out anything that looked like wild carrot.
I kept ripping out these little guys which start with three bluish leaves. 
I kept ripping out these little guys (which are the ones I initially mistook for alyssum).  They're everywhere.  
I also tore up every maple I could find and things that were definitely grass.  I left things that might be baby bulbs.  

No comments: