Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Shrub love

I have never really been responsible for shrubs before, and the ones we have growing in various spots in our garden are not well-pruned and showered with affection.  They are occasionally hacked at, root and twig.  

I have killed at least two of them.

However, I must admit that it pleases me to see that some of them aren't dead (yet).  The white-rimmed shrub is coming along nicely with plenty of new growth.  
The shrubs on the front side of the house (destined to have mint planted beneath them) are both obligingly putting out new leaves.
I like the way the spring green and the red branches look against our blue walls.
Even the sad skeletal shrub next to the rhododendron is putting out a new speck of green here and there.  It's probably on its last legs.  I think it gets icy gutter run-off when systems aren't working perfectly.

No comments: