Friday, September 26, 2008

Pumpkins

One of the things we picked up last weekend was a pumpkin.  Not a pie pumpkin, just a regular great big ol' pumpkin.  I thought I might as well give it a go, and no one had pie pumpkins for sale.  I love a good pumpkin pie, and I absolutely adore fresh roasted pumpkin seeds.  

I cooked up the pumpkin, which was so big I had to do it in two batches because I couldn't fit it all in the oven at once, and discovered that regular pumpkins are quite different from pie pumpkins.  Or at least, this one was.  It gave up oodles and oodles of water.  I had a huge bowl of pumpkin pulp (still do, actually) which was brimming with liquid.  I poured off the water, but more keeps seeping out.  I've pureed the meat, and it's still separating into pumpkin juice and pumpkin pulp.  I have never had that problem before.  So, yesterday when we were at Pete's and there were pie pumpkins for $2 a throw, I grabbed a couple.  I don't know where in the freezer I think the pulp will fit, but I do know that I don't trust the stuff we have now to make a pie with.

Instead, last night I made pumpkin muffins.  They're basically bran muffins with pumpkin moisturizer and also fabulous.  I used the recipe from Smart Cooking (such a good cookbook!) and was very worried when I poured liquid batter, barely any hint of solidity, into the muffin cups.  They cooked up nicely, though, and were still good this morning.  I am looking forward to using the pumpkin pulp for this purpose again.  I have also found a recipe for pumpkin cookies in The Joy of Cooking.  I might try that on Saturday.  

In other pumpkin news, one of our neighbours at the plot had their pumpkin stolen!!  That really does suck.  It's been growing ever more beautiful all season.  I do feel for their loss.  Plus, who steals a pumpkin?  It's not like you can't get a better one at the store for $2.  You can't use a pumpkin unless you've got an oven, so obviously, you have $2 as well.  So depressing.  It's a downside of growing in a public place.  The public is sometimes dishearteningly un-public-spirited.  

No comments: