Monday, September 22, 2008

Plot Emptier

We did (almost as soon as I stopped mucking about on the internet, actually) make it to the plot yesterday.  I ruthlessly pulled out the still blooming and productive zucchini.  I think, given the ratio of tiny babies to largish fruit, that they had started a new bloom when the sunshine reappeared last week.  At any rate, they're all gone now.  We pulled up the egyptian walking onions, which we've been told are mostly for use like chives (i.e. the fruit isn't very good) and is not good use of our limited space.  We swore that next year we wouldn't plant anything that took over wholesale like the zukes and then immediately agreed that what we should really grow is pie pumpkins.  We harvested about 10 lbs of potatoes, including those from the two plants which were completely subsumed by the monster zucchini.  

What remains is one sad tomato plant, mostly destroyed by zukes; one happy tomato plant, still producing pretty little yellow plums; a few increasingly mis-named spring onions; and a row of newly-sprouting beets.  I thinned the new beets a bit yesterday, but given that we're already into frost warnings, I don't think I'll hold much hope for this second harvest.  Too big for my breeches, I guess.

No comments: