Sunday, March 22, 2009

Up-and-comers

The next crocuses to come out will be the Pickwicks.  I like them, and am quite relieved that some will come out this year despite all the seeds produced in that neck of the yard last summer.  The flowers are up but not out.  They are still robed in their protective covering and it's only by peering very closely at them that I'm confident that it's the Pickwicks at all.  

There is lots of promising activity in the front, but nothing has really started to come out yet.  It's all just pale fingers poking through at this stage.  I was discussing the garden with my mother today and her snowdrops always come out before her crocuses.  It makes me think that I should put snowdrops in a genuinely warm and sunny place, too.  I can't imagine that they could beat those Zwanenburgs, though.   The Zwanenburgs are wonderfully up now, anyway.  

No comments: