Sunday, July 27, 2008

Herbs

I don't know what it is, but every summer we get to just about this time of year and I see the herbs for sale at the farmers' market and I think that I urgently need lots of herbs.  Lots.  They usually sell them for 10 for $20 and I usually think that 10 is just about the right number.  

On Saturday at the market, partial sanity caught hold and I only got 3 herb plants.  I haven't put them into the ground yet and I'm not sure that I have the right places for them.  But they're all things that I like and in principle I want around in growing quantities.  
There's red leaf basil.  This is an annual anyway, so it might as well just go into a bigger pot and sit on the back steps.  I'd need potting soil, but I think I can manage a largish potsworth.  
There's curly parsley.  I only sometimes manage to use a full bunch worth of parsley.  I like it enough to make sauces with parsley as a main flavouring, and I do love me some tabouli.  However, a lot of parsley has gone off in our fridge over the years.   I think it's time for us to have our own little supply of "just enough" in a pot indoors.  Also our own supply of more than enough greening up the outside world.  I think this batch will go into greening up the outside world.  I have been getting a kick out of growing things from seed.  I'd like to try it with parsley.
There's mint.  I like spearmint.  I like a sprig of mint on a dessert.  I like mint tea.  I think that a couple of bits of mint in rice, potatoes, and peas makes things nice.  I like lamb and sometimes mint sauce with lamb is an absolute necessity.  I like ice water with some lemon slices and a few mint leaves buried at the bottom.  
The mint is the big challenge because I know that it can take over.  Look at it!  It's already busting out of its pot.  It's an aggressive plant.  Well known fact.  I've read about burying pots in the ground to contain it.  Perhaps I'll try that.  Our winters are too wintery to imagine that things might survive in a container out of the ground, but perhaps I can have mint next summer if I just plant the mint in a pot and plant the pot.  Here's hoping.  

 

No comments: