Sunday, February 1, 2009

Winter gardening

I have been reading the marvellous blog Fast Grow the Weeds lately.   I was looking at it in the regular way of blogs starting in November, and then she posted something about how a snowy day made her happy and want to drink tea and bake bread.  That spoke straight to my soul.  So when I say I have been reading the blog lately, I don't mean that I've been checking it for updates.  I mean that I've gone back into the archives and read every single post she wrote.  For days, it's been keeping me occupied and, frankly, fantasizing.   

I dreamt that we got a greenhouse.  I have gone back to looking at the real-estate webpages seeking out possible gardening plots in the country.  These are both pure fantasy activities.  I don't drive, so a plot of land, even within an hour-long drive of my house in the city, is not of any practical use for gardening.  I would very much like to put a greenhouse and a bit of garden on our (flat) roof, but I don't have that kind of money sitting around at the moment, and even if I did, I am not sure that the foundations of our (120-130 year-old) house could support it.  

I'll allow myself to read the blog of someone who is actually making gardening a huge and significant portion of her life.  However, I'll remind myself that I am lazy and people who farm or garden for more than a pecadillo are the least lazy of all folks.  I will try to remember how much I ache after turning over half of my tiny flowerbeds.  I will dream on, but remember in my waking hours that I am the inconsistent gardener, and no more.  

No comments: