Friday, October 17, 2008

Popping in

I'm home for a few days and delighted to see that the zinnia and marigolds are still blooming!  It's not warm anymore; most days stay below 15 celsius, but on they bravely go.  

My sister had autumn crocuses in her Toronto garden (she moved in last winter so everything is a pleasant surprise) which made me think I should have some in my own.  But all I really need is zinnias, apparently!  

I have been reading the anti-chrysanthemum writings of this blogger, which have made me shy away from putting in mums and cabbages.  Well, I say that, but honestly, I haven't put the bulbs in yet so it's not like I'd be doing any gardening if I did pick up some nice autumnal annuals.  

Hopefully I will get a few minutes this weekend to deal with some of the gardening issues.  The tree has tar spot so we need to get all of its leaves into the municipal compost and away from the roots.  All trees in town have tar spot at the moment.  But with luck I'll find time to take some pictures of the miracle marigolds and zealous zinnias.  

I'm feeling quite chuffed about the garden at the moment.  My first flowers started on March 6th and it's now October 17th and I've still got blooms!  It's like I can actually do it or something.  No matter how much of it has to do with luck and climate change, I am well pleased with myself and the garden for providing well over half a year's worth of blooming in a northern climate.  

No comments: