Thursday, April 30, 2009

Data-gathering

I'm making use of a data-gathering device today.  I think I'll try to keep it up as long as the sunny weather lasts, in different spots in the back.  
This is a suncalc; not exactly worth spending money on, unless you are trying to decide where to start a garden or something more fundamental than what I'm doing.  I should be able to figure out what the light levels are from my experience in the back of what's flourished and what's perished.  It's obviously not right for rhododendrons, for example.  

In my defense, I spent money on it early on, when I was still thinking that my missing years of experience could be replaced by gadgetry.  I am now trying very hard to recover from that belief and therefore not be sucked in by all of the wonderful things offered in the garden departments of certain stores.  

In the meantime, I will gather data while I can and put it into the file marked: interesting.  I will try not to be crushed when the "part sun" verdict from the suncalc and "part sun" plants I put in don't agree with each other.   I will try to apply my experimenting ways to the back yard and remember that most experiments don't work, but perseverance may eventually generate results.   I'll keep in mind that I want a nice garden, not just a nice garden this year.  

No comments: