Monday, April 20, 2009

Baby face

When I was a small child,  I subscribed to Owl magazine, and I always liked the photo puzzles on the back page when they required one to link the unlikely-looking babies of a species to their full-grown parents.  It amazed me that infants could look so similar or dissimilar to the thing they were turning into.  
The suspicious plant I noticed the other day isn't very far away from another promising-looking youngster.  I had already decided that it was lily-of-the valley based on its position but I think I've got it wrong.  A few years ago, my wonderful neighbour a few doors down gave me some perennials from her garden and I have forgotten the name of this one, but it's got light spots on the leaves.  I thought for a long time it was called Hens and Chickens, but that's a succulent and nothing like this.  This plant is a pleasant enough leaf-bearer with pale spots.  It had another possible name which had something to do with royalty.  I can't for the life of me remember.  And this is where google breaks down as the ultimate resource.  I need to ask a human being with a brain not entirely unlike mine.  I wonder what it is.  

Of course, it may turn out to be something completely unlike its little baby self.  It might grow into something with no spots on its leaves whatsoever.

I suppose time will tell.

Edited to add that I've remembered that it's lungwort.  That is to say, the plant I couldn't recall is lungwort (pulmonaria for those of you who like latin) but it's still too early to say what the plant growing in the front is.  

No comments: